By Michael P. Neufeld
UPDATE: Friday, January 13 – 11:45 a.m.
Mountain Communities – The bald eagle counts for January 14 have been cancelled for Lake Arrowhead/Lake Gregory and Big Bear Lake areas.
Participants can still participate at Silverwood Lake State Recreation Area, Lake Hemet and Lake Perris State Recreation Area.
No experience is necessary.
Mountain Communities – The San Bernardino National Forest is seeking volunteers on Saturday, January 14, as part of its 38th annual winter bald eagle census. In December, 101 volunteers spotted 11 eagles at various mountain lakes (7 adults and 4 juveniles).
This is a great opportunity to experience the majesty and grandeur of America’s national symbol, the bald eagle.
NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY
A brief orientation will be conducted prior to the count each Saturday to educate volunteers on what to do.
No experience or prior sign-up is necessary to participate in the eagle count. Volunteers only need to show up at the designated time and location.
Participants are encouraged to dress warmly and to bring along binoculars and a watch.
LOCATIONS AND MEETING TIMES
- Big Bear Lake – (CANCELLED) Volunteers will meet at the Forest Service’s Big Bear Discovery Center on North Shore Drive at 8 a.m. for a brief orientation. A free slideshow on bald eagles will take place at 11 a.m. following the count. In the event of inclement winter weather, a recorded cancellation notice will be posted by 6:30 a.m. at (909) 382-2832 on the morning of the count. Volunteers should call this number at the scheduled time for confirmation. For more information contact Robin Eliason at (909) 382-2832 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lake Arrowhead/Lake Gregory (CANCELLED)– An orientation will be held at 8 a.m. at the Skyforest Ranger Station for all volunteers. Participants should call (909) 382-2832 at 6:30 a.m. on the morning of the count, in the event of a cancellation due to winter weather conditions. Please contact Robin Eliason at (909) 382-2832 or email@example.com for more information.
- Silverwood Lake State Recreation Area – Orientation will be held at the Visitor Center at 8 a.m. for volunteers. For volunteer information, or to schedule an eagle tour, contact Kathy Williams or Mark Wright at (760) 389-2303 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Kathy can also be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lake Hemet – Orientation takes place at the Lake Hemet Grocery Store at 8:30 a.m. Contact Ann Bowers at (909) 382-2935 or email@example.com for more information
- Lake Perris State Recreation Area – Volunteers should plan to meet at the Lake Perris Regional Indian Museum at 8 a.m. for orientation. Contact the Indian Museum office at (951) 940-5657 or Lake Perris SRA at (951) 940-5600 for more information.
There will be two additional counts on Saturday, February 11, and March 11.