By Susan A. Neufeld
Mountain Communities – The Rim of the World Education Foundation presented Partnership with Schools Grants, and helping to support AVID and ROP programs in the amount of $26,925.
Each school makes a ten minute presentation to the Partnerships with Schools Education Grant Committee with a follow-up Q and A session. The Committee makes recommendations to the Rim Education Foundation Board for approval, and funds are allocated. At the end of the school year, awardees are required to submit a report that includes photos for their project and receipts for items purchased.
SCHOOL GRANTS AWARDED FOR 2017 -2018
- Charles Hoffman Elementary – OPT OUT(SIDE) – Purchase of snow shoes for attendance incentive, fostering physical exercise and exposure to the forest in winter – $2,840.
- Lake Arrowhead Elementary – POWER UP LEARNING AND MYSTERY SCIENCE – Purchased 75″ Smart TV, mounted in school auditorium, and site license for hands-on science app- $5,400.
- Valley of Enchantment Elementary – Second Step: Social Emotion Learning Curriculum and Rewarding Positive – Student Incentives – $4,900.
- Mary Putnam Henck Middle School – Personal Planners for Academic Organization – Reminder Binders for all students – $3,800 (reserve dollars will be rolled over to next year)
- Rim of the World High School – NOT IN OUR SCHOOL ANTIBULLYING TRAINING – Trainer of Trainers for school personnel on dealing with bullying and tolerance – $9594.
- Mountain High School – Senior Portfolios – Supplies for the portfolios required for English Classes and Graduation Preparedness – $391.
RIM EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION
The Rim of the World Education foundation funding is a result of three major sources. Community donations from organizations such as Soroptimist, Lake arrowhead & Sunrise Rotary, Mountain Jewish Community and others. Corporate grants that include Bank of America, Edison, Schools First Credit Union, Burrtec, San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and Tilden-Coil Contractors. Lastly, but very important are the Rim of the World Educational Foundation fundraisers, such as the Fashion Show with Jazz, Bowling for Education, Give Big Campaign, PoloRotary Bear Plunge, Wine & Beer Sales at the Jensen’s Lobster Fest, participation in the Lake Arrowhead Rotary Art & Wine Festival. As well as the dedication of the Rim of the World Educational Foundation Board members, the generosity of event sponsors, and event participants.