Keep Pets Safe on the Fourth of July


Fireworks displays often scare pets, even when they’re inside, or if they’re miles away. (File Photo)

By Susan A. Neufeld

Mountain Communities – The crashes, booms and bangs from fireworks might make for a festive July 4th celebration for people, but not for animals. It’s a sure bet that not all the fireworks in the world light up your life like your animals do–so why let them suffer during fireworks displays?

FIREWORKS Pets SafeThe loud noises on Independence Day often frighten an otherwise calm pet. Animal control officials report a 30 percent increase in lost pets between July 4th and 6th, when the celebrations are in full swing. In fact, more pets go missing on July 4th than any other day of the year.


In addition to following these pet safety tips, owners are encouraged to make sure the pet has a collar, a license tag and a micro chip, in case the pet does get scared and runs away.

FIREWORKS – Keep fireworks away from pets! While exposure to lit fireworks can potentially result in severe burns, life threatening injuries, and/or trauma to the face and paws of curious pets, even unused fireworks can pose a danger. Many types contain potentially toxic substances, including potassium nitrate, arsenic and other heavy metals.

LEAVE THE PET HOME – Loud, crowded fireworks displays are no fun for pets, so please resist the urge to take them to the July 4th festivities. Instead, keep pets safe from the noise in a quiet, sheltered and escape-proof area at home.

NORMAL DIET – Keep your pets on their normal diet. Any change, even for one meal, can give your pets severe indigestion and diarrhea. This is particularly true for older animals who have more delicate digestive systems and nutritional requirements. Also keep in mind that foods such as chocolate, coffee, avocado, onions, grapes & raisins, salt and yeast dough can all be potentially toxic to pets.

NO GLOW JEWELRY – Never put glow jewelry on your pets, or allow them to play with it. While the luminescent substance contained in these products is not highly toxic, excessive drooling and gastrointestinal irritation could still result from ingestion and intestinal blockage could occur from swallowing large pieces of the jewelry’s plastic containers.

CHECK PETS AFTER FIREWORKS – Check your pets after the fireworks to make sure they’re not showing signs of stress.

Keep your pets safe during Fourth of July celebrations. More pets go missing on July 4th than any other day of the year. (File Photo)