By Susan A. Neufeld
San Bernardino, CA – As your home warms up with all the delicious smells of Thanksgiving cooking, make sure you’re being safe while in the kitchen. Cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and related injuries. The National Fire Protection Association reports that 30 percent of all home fires start in the kitchen, that’s more than any other part of the home. Follow these safety guidelines to help ensure a festive feast:
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Be alert! Do not attempt to cook if you have been drinking or are drowsy.
- Keep cooking areas and appliances clean; build up grease can cause fires.
- Keep children and pets at least three-feet from the stove.
- Keep flammable objects (dish towels, potholders, curtains, etc) away from the stovetop.
- Turn pot handles inward to prevent them from being bumped or grabbed by children or pets.
- Wear short sleeved shirts or close fitting clothes when cooking. Dangling clothes can easily catch fire.
- Avoid reaching over the stovetop
WHAT TO DO IF THERE IS A FIRE
Put a lid on grease fires. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, smother the flames by slowly sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the burner. Do not remove the lid until it is completely cool! If there is a fire in an oven or microwave, keep the door closed, turn off the oven or microwave, and disconnect the power.
Stop drop and roll. If your clothing catches on fire, stop. Do not run. Drop to the ground. Cover your face with your hands and roll over and over to smother flames.
Cool a burn, Run cool water (not ice water) over a burn for 10 to 15 minutes. Never apply butter or grease to a burn. If the skin is blistered or charred, see a doctor immediately.
When preparing that amazing feast be aware and us common sense.
For more information visit: http://www.sbcfire.org