By Susan A. Neufeld
Mountain Communities – San Bernardino National Forest and U.S. Forest Service plan to continue pile burning through out the national forest. The burning depending on winter weather conditions.
- Idyllwild (continuing but new location): With the completion of the Pine Cove Fuel Break ( about 3,000 piles, 230 acres), crews are moving to the Westridge Fuel Break, southeast of Idyllwild.
- Big Bear Lake (continuing): South of the lake between the ski resorts along roads 2N10 and 2N58Y.
- Heaps Peaks Helibase/ Heaps Peak Arboretum (continuing ): Along Hwy 18 between Lake Arrowhead and Running Springs.
- Rock camp Fire Station (new): South of Lake Arrowhead along Hwy 173.
- Cottonwood Fire Station (new): North of Silverwood Lake along Hwy 138.
To receive updates before or during burning days, c all the forest’s Prescribed Burn Hotline at (9909) 382-2711 or follow the forest on Twitter.